Wednesday 9 May 2012

Drama - Prop Ideas

Here are some pictures of props I have brought from charity shops, car boot sales and collected from my personal belongings to use for our drama. I am looking for props that will fit with Jack and his father's characteristics but also fitting in with the retro 70's style we are aiming for.

I just need to get a few more props before we go into production and begin shooting. I need to get a number of different sport medals such as football for Jack and Golf and Bowling for Jack's father. I also need to buy glass cups for the scene when Jack's father goes mad and smashes up his front room. I would also like to obtain more ornaments for the front room that reflect the fathers character although I am not sure what these could be. I'm sure they will stand out to me when I go prop hunting again before we start shooting.

As visual arts director I am extremely looking forward to using these props and making the sets of our film come alive with character.

Click on the images to enlarge.


- These props I think we could use as they are visually appealing and will look good on camera. Also I think they could show a part of the fathers character. He could be a well travelled man and collects souvenirs for himself from every country he has been to.





- I like these props as they could show that Jack or Jack's father or both could be a big fan of music, also the poster and book show artists that was around during the 70's therefore fitting in with our era we are trying to achieve.


- These props could be the fathers pipe and smoking materials.



- This is an unusual prop I think we could use that I brought from a car boot sale. It is an old antique crossbow gun, an odd choice yes but I think if Lucy (director) wants it in some shots it could show that the father likes hunting or enjoys collecting antique weapons.


- Here I think are important props, framed photographs of 'Jack' when he was a child. This will help make the film more believable. Simple but effective.


- This prop is a suitcase from the 60's, visually it looks brilliant as it fits perfectly with the Wes Anderson 70's mise en scene we are trying to achieve. This suitcase we can use for the scene where Jack is thrown out of his house by his father.



- This is an idea I thought of that I think would look brilliant on screen and really add a sense of character to the set design for the scenes in the front room. Pile books onto a bookcase, but backwards so you only see the pages, the colour of the pages in the books will vary regarding how old the book is. Also, to add more character to the set design, only show covers to books that was published before or during the 70's and scatter them around the pile of books. Like so:-



No comments:

Post a Comment